Board Policy 5110

Admissions and Transfers

  • Admission Procedure

    Students enrolling in the District for the first time must present:

    1. A certified copy of a birth certificate. When a certified copy of the birth certificate is presented, the school shall promptly make a copy for its records, place the copy in the student’s temporary record, and return the original to the person enrolling the child. Upon the failure of a person enrolling a student to provide a copy of the student’s birth certificate, the principal shall immediately:
      1. Notify in writing the person enrolling the student that within 30 days he or she must provide a certified copy of the student’s birth certificate.
      2. Enroll the student without a birth certificate.
      3. If a person enrolling a student fails to provide a certified copy of the student’s birth certificate within 30 days, the Superintendent/designee shall immediately notify the local law enforcement agency and shall also notify the person enrolling the student in writing that, unless he or she complies within 10 days, the case shall be referred to the local law enforcement authority for investigation.
      4. If compliance is not obtained within that 10-day period, the principal shall refer the case to the local law enforcement agency for investigation.
      5. The principal shall immediately report to the local law enforcement authority any material received pursuant to this paragraph, which appears inaccurate or suspicious in form or content.
    1. Proof of residence, as defined by Board Policy and administrative regulation.
    2. Proof of disease immunization or detection and the required physical examination, as required by State law and Board Policy 5130.

    The individual enrolling a student shall be given the opportunity to voluntarily state whether the student has a parent or guardian who is a member of a branch of the U. S. Armed Forces and who is either deployed to active duty or expects to be deployed to active duty during the school year. Students who are children of active duty military personnel transferring will be allowed to enter: (a) the same grade level in which they studied at the school from which they transferred, if the transfer occurs during the District’s school year, or (b) the grade level following the last grade completed.


    Homeless Children

    Any homeless child shall be immediately admitted, even if the child or child’s parent/guardian is unable to produce records normally required for enrollment. Board policy 6340 on  Education of Homeless Children, and its implementing administrative procedure, govern the enrollment of homeless children.

    Foster Care Students    

    The Superintendent will appoint at least one employee to act as a liaison to facilitate the enrollment and transfer of records of students in the legal custody of the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services when enrolling in or changing schools.


    Admission to Kindergarten or First Grade

    A child must be five (5) on or before September 1 of the current school year to enter kindergarten. A child must be six (6) on or before September 1 of the current school year to enter first grade. Based upon an assessment of the child’s readiness, a child will be allowed to attend first grade if the following conditions are met:

    • he or she attended a non-public preschool, continued his or her education at that school through kindergarten, and
    • was taught in kindergarten by an appropriately certified teacher, and
    • will be 6 years old on or before December 31st of that school year.

    The Board permits early entrance into Kindergarten or First Grade for students younger than the entrance age requirements who demonstrate high ability pursuant to the Board’s early entrance criteria.


    Transferring In

    The parent/guardian should request from the previous school that the following be forwarded: official transcript, remainder of the school records and a completed good standing form. The student shall be admitted pending the receipt of these records. If the records are not received, the principal or designee shall request the records from the transferring school. If the parent/guardian is unable to present the records, the student shall be admitted and the principal shall request the records from the transferring school.

    A student seeking to transfer into the District must serve the entire term of any suspension or expulsion, imposed for any reason by any public or private school, in this or any other state, before being admitted into the District.

    The principal or designee shall make the class or grade level assignment, and may accept or reject the transferring school’s recommendations.


    Transferring Out

    Parent(s)/guardian(s) of a student transferring from the District should give the principal written notification of their intent, pay outstanding fees or fines, sign a release form, and return all school owned property.

    The principal shall complete a good standing form for any student transferring from the District. Within 10 days of a transfer notification, the principal shall send to the District in which the student will or has enrolled, a completed good standing form, an unofficial record of the student’s grades, and the remainder of the student’s school records. If a transferring student was suspended or expelled for any of the reasons listed previously in this policy, and the period of suspension or expulsion has not expired at the time the student attempts to transfer into another public school, any school student records required to be transferred shall include the date and duration of the suspension or expulsion. Within 10 days after the student has paid all outstanding fines and fees, the principal shall mail an official transcript of the scholastic records.

    Parent(s)/guardian(s) will receive prior written notice of the nature and substance of the records proposed to be released and an opportunity to review and copy them.