Board Policy 5120



    Resident Students

    Only students who are residents of the District may attend a District school without a tuition charge, except as otherwise provided below or in State law. A student’s residence is the same as the person who has legal custody of the student.


    A person asserting legal custody over a student, who is not the child’s natural or adoptive parent, shall complete a signed statement, stating:

    1. That he or she has assumed and exercises legal responsibility for the child,
    2. The reason the child lives with him or her, other than to receive an education in the District, and
    3. That he or she exercises full control over the child regarding daily educational and medical decisions in case of emergency.


    If the District knows the current address of the child's natural or adoptive parent, the District shall request in writing that the person complete a signed statement or Power of Attorney stating: (a) the role and responsibility of the person with whom their child is living, and (b) that the person with whom the child is living has full control over the child regarding daily educational and medical decisions in case of emergency.


    A student whose family moves out of the District during the school year will be permitted to attend school for the remainder of the year without payment of tuition.


    When a student's change of residence is due to the military service obligation of the student's legal custodian, the student's residence is deemed to be unchanged for the duration of the custodian's military service obligation if the student's custodian made a written request. The District, however, is not responsible for the student's transportation to or from school.


    If, at the time of enrollment, a dependent child of military personnel is housed in temporary housing located outside of the District, but will be living within the District within 60 days after the time of initial enrollment, the child is allowed to enroll, subject to the requirements of State law, and must not be charged tuition.


    If a student’s family plans to move into the District within 31 calendar days after the beginning of school, the student will be allowed to attend school at the beginning of the school year without payment of tuition.


    While the student is not living in the District, transportation to and from school shall be the responsibility of the parent/guardian.


    Requests for Non-Resident Student Admission

    Non-resident students may attend District schools upon approval of a request submitted by the student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) for non-resident admission. The Superintendent may approve the request subject to the following:

    1. The student will attend on a year-to-year basis. Approval for any one year is not authorization to attend a following year.
    2. The student will attend the school designated by the Superintendent or designee.
    3. The student will be accepted only if there is sufficient room.
    4. The student’s parent(s)/guardian(s) will be charged the maximum amount of tuition as allowed by State law.
    5. Transportation to and from school shall be the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian(s).


    Admission of Non-Resident Students Pursuant to an Agreement or Order

    Non-resident students may attend District schools tuition-free or a reduced tuition pursuant to:

    1. A written agreement with an adjacent school district to provide for tuition-free or a reduced tuition attendance by a student of that district, provided both the Superintendent or designee and the adjacent district determine that the student’s health and safety will be served by such attendance.
    2. A written agreement with cultural exchange organizations and institutions supported by charity to provide for tuition-free attendance by foreign exchange students and nonresident pupils of charitable institutions.
    3. According to an intergovernmental agreement.
    4. Whenever any State or federal law or a court order mandates the acceptance of a nonresident student.


    Challenging a Student’s Residence Status

    If the Superintendent or designee determines that a student attending school on a tuition-free basis is a non-resident of the District for whom tuition is required to be charged, he or she on behalf of the Board shall notify the person who enrolled the student of the tuition amount that is due. The notice shall detail the specific reasons why the Board believes that the student is a nonresident of the District and shall be given by certified mail, return receipt requested. The person who enrolled the student may challenge this determination and request a hearing as provided by The School Code 105 ILCS 5/10-20.12b.


    Nonpublic School Students, Including Parochial and Home-Schooled Students

    Part-Time Attendance

    The District accepts nonpublic school students, including parochial and home-schooled students, who live within the District for part-time attendance in the District’s regular education program on a space-available basis. Requests for part-time attendance must be submitted to the Building Principal of the school in the school attendance area where the student resides. All requests for attendance in the following school year must be submitted before May 1.

    A student accepted for partial enrollment must comply with all discipline and attendance requirements established by the school. He or she may participate in any co-curricular activity associated with a District class in which he or she is enrolled. The parent(s)/guardian(s) of a student accepted for partial enrollment must pay all fees, pro-rated on the basis of a percentage of full-time fees. Transportation to and/or from school is provided on regular bus routes to or from a point on the route nearest or most easily accessible to the nonpublic school or student’s home. This transportation shall be on the same basis as the District provides transportation for its full-time students. Transportation on other than established bus routes is the responsibility of the parent(s)/guardian(s).


    Students with a Disability

    The District will accept for part-time attendance those students with disabilities who live within the District and are enrolled in nonpublic schools. Requests must be submitted by the student’s parent/guardian. Special educational services shall be provided to such students as soon as possible after identification, evaluation, and placement procedures provided by State law, but no later than the beginning of the next school semester following the completion of such procedures. Transportation for such students shall be provided only if required in the child’s individualized educational program on the basis of the child’s disabling condition or as the special education program location may require.


    Extracurricular Activities, Including Interscholastic Competition

    A nonpublic school student is eligible to participate in: (1) interscholastic competition, provided his or her participation adheres to the regulations established by any association in which the School District maintains a membership, and (2) non-athletic extracurricular activities, provided the student attends a District school for at least one-half of the regular school day, excluding lunch. A nonpublic student who participates in an extracurricular activity is subject to all policies, regulations, and rules that are applicable to other participants in the activity.


    Assignment When Enrolling Full-Time in a District School

    Grade placement by, and academic credits earned at, a nonpublic school will be accepted if the school has a Certificate of Nonpublic School Recognition from the Illinois State Board of Education, or, if outside Illinois, if the school is accredited by the state agency governing education.

    A student who, after receiving instruction in a non-recognized or non-accredited school, enrolls in the District will: (1) be assigned to a grade level according to academic proficiency, and/or (2) have academic credits recognized by the District if the student demonstrates appropriate academic proficiency to the school administration. Any portion of a student’s transcript relating to such instruction will not be considered for placement on the honor roll or computation in class rank.

    Notwithstanding the above, recognition of grade placement and academic credits awarded by a nonpublic school is at the sole discretion of the District.


    Homeless Children

    Any homeless child shall be immediately admitted, even if the child or child’s parent/guardian is unable to produce records normally required to establish residency. Board policy 6340, Education of Homeless Children, and its implementing administrative procedures, govern the enrollment of homeless children.