Board Policy 7340
The Public Addressing the School Board at Board Meetings and Petitions to the Board
The District is governed by a School Board, which powers and duties include the authority to adopt, enforce, and monitor all policies for the management and governance of the District’s schools. Official action by the Board may only occur at a duly called and legally conducted meeting, at which the public is invited to observe and address the Board at designated times.
At each regular and special open meeting, members of the public and District employees may comment to or ask questions of the School Board, subject to reasonable constraints.
The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
- Persons seeking to speak before the Board will be requested to complete a Request for Public Comment card, which shall contain the procedures as reflected in this Policy. The Board reserves the right to modify those procedures as necessary for an orderly and efficient meeting.
- Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
- Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, comments shall be limited to 3 minutes. In unusual circumstances, and when an individual has made a request in advance to speak for a longer period of time, the individual may be allowed to speak for more than 3 minutes.
- Observe the Board President’s decision to shorten public comment to conserve time and give the maximum number of individuals an opportunity to speak.
- Observe the Board President’s decision to determine procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise covered in Board policy.
- Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others and otherwise abide by Board policy, 1500, Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
It is requested that any item of an educational or operational matter normally cared for by the administrative staff shall have been discussed at least once with an appropriate administrator.
Petitions or written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the Board in the next regular Board packet.