School Breakfast Program
For parents with busy schedules, it can be hard to make sure that kids are eating a healthy breakfast before they go to school in the morning. Sometimes children aren’t hungry right after waking up, and it’s hard to find food they like to eat that is also healthy. Also, some kids refuse breakfast at home but are hungry when they arrive at school. Fortunately, we have a great breakfast program for all students, and it’s available at school every day. If morning meals are difficult for your family, let the School Breakfast Program help you out!
Benefits of Breakfast:
- Eating breakfast can help improve math, reading, and standardized test scores.
- Children who eat breakfast are more likely to behave better in school and get along with their peers than those who do not.
- Breakfast helps children pay attention, perform problem-solving tasks, and improves memory.
- Children who eat school breakfast are likely to have fewer absences and incidents of tardiness than those who do not.
- By eating breakfast, students get more of important nutrients, vitamins and minerals such as calcium, dietary fiber, folate and protein.
- Studies have shown that children who eat breakfast on a regular basis are less likely to be overweight.
- Eating breakfast as a child is important for establishing healthy habits for later in life.
- Schools that provide breakfast in the classroom to all students have shown decreases in tardiness and suspensions as well as improved student behavior and attentiveness.
- What you eat for breakfast can have an impact on learning. One study showed that eating breakfast food high in fiber and low in sugar for breakfast helped students sustain the cognitive effects of breakfast.
- School Breakfast provides daily servings of fruit, whole grains, and milk, plus roughly ¼ the recommended calories needed for lasting energy.