Special Education Services

Continuum of services

  • Woodridge School District 68 offers a full continuum of Special Education services for students with disabilities. Special education is instruction and related services provided by special education personnel or by a general education program that has been modified through the use of special education support services, supplementary aids, or other special programming.


    Woodridge School District 68 follows the state and federal laws that establish criteria for special education eligibility. The federal government recognizes 14 categories under which children may qualify for special education. These disabilities include: autism, deaf-blindness, deafness, developmental delay, emotional disorder, hearing impairment, intellectual disability, multiple disabilities, orthopedic impairment, other health impairment, speech or language impairment, traumatic brain injury, and visual impairment.


    Woodridge School District 68 is a member of SASED, the School Association for Special Education in DuPage County. SASED professionals work closely with District 68 staff in order to meet the needs of our students with disabilities.

If you have concerns about your child

  • If you have concerns regarding your student’s progress either academically or socially, the first person to contact is your child’s teacher. Do not hesitate to ask the teacher to involve other professionals if it seems warranted. All schools have a school social worker, school psychologist, Learning Behavior Specialists, and other related service providers. Members of this team will collaborate with you to identify next steps to address these concerns.


    If your child is a pre-school student and you have concerns about his or her development, please contact the Student Services office at 630-795-6830. The District hosts regular screenings to identify preschool students who may need further evaluation.

Additional information

  • Section 504

    Students with disabilities who do not qualify for an IEP under the IDEA/Article 14 may qualify for services under Section 504 if the child (i) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, (ii) has a record of a physical or mental impairment, or (iii) is regarded as having a physical or mental impairment. The U.S. Department of Education recently released a handbook geared towards parents and educators addressing Section 504 in public elementary and secondary schools.

    Any parent/guardian who is deaf or does not typically communicate using spoken English and who participates in a Section 504 meeting with a school district representative is entitled to the services of an interpreter.


    Related Service Logs

    Students with disabilities may receive related services as part of their individual education programs (IEPs). Woodridge School District 68 will maintain related service logs that record the type and number of minutes of the related service(s) administered to such students. Copies of any related service logs will be provided to parents/guardians upon request. 


    Meeting Paperwork

    At least 3 days before IEP meetings and evaluations, parents will be provided with draft copies of evaluations, collected data, and numerous IEP components that will be considered and discussed at the meeting in compliance with Public Act 101-0643.  District staff will provide this paperwork via email to parents.  Please contact your child's Case Manager if you wish to receive this information through a different method.  


    Interpretation Services

    Woodridge School District 68 is committed to supporting and enhancing full parent participation in the IEP process.  Interpretation services will be provided as requested at any IEP meeting.  Parents/guardians have the right to request that the interpreter provided by the school district serve no other role in the IEP meeting than as an interpreter.  Please contact your child's teacher and/or Case Manager with any questions or complaints about interpretation services or to request an interpreter for an IEP meeting.